Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Tour de Fleece 08... Day 3 and 4

Day 3... last night

Attempted to ply the singles from the brown/rust/blue silk cap I purchased from MA sheep and wool. I only managed to get a teeny bit plied.. it snapped twice on me and I had to splice it back together. It also kept tangling.. which resulted in the snapping. Finally it tangled so much i just couldn't take it anymore. It's being set aside for now. Maybe that will be my challenge fo the challenge day lol.

Day 4... tonight

Having given up temporarily on the silk cap singles, I rummaged through my stash to see what has been sitting for a while waiting to be spun. I unearthed a 4 oz ball of cormo/mohair fluffiness from Foxhill Farm that I had picked up at one the othe guild meetings. Its a gorgeous variegated purpley fiber and I had actually forgotten I had it. I set out to start spinning it. Pre-drafted a chunk of it and discovered it was a batt (or something) that had been pulled into a roving. .so fibers were all willy nilly and it was very fluffy. Wasn't expecting that, but no big deal. What bothered me was that as I spun it, I had difficulty keeping it as consistant as I wanted and there are some slubby spots. Not what I was going for, but it will make an interesting yarn. Also it feels like there is still some grease left in the wool and I am hating the way it feels on my hands. Kinda late to wash it now.. so I guess I will give it a nice hot soak when I am finished. Only got through maybe half an ounce tonight. I realized its after midnight and I have to be in to work by 7:30. Should probably quit for the night and head to bed so I have a chance at getting there on time haha. Will definitely work on the cormo/mohair more tomorrow and hopefully finish the singles. Thinking about making it a 2 ply.. not really sure yet.

No comments: